Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

A little glance back

Reading Elder Oaks talk today and remembering how a scripture from Alma saved my life once and I didn't tell anyone. So, the time has come. Back in the day, when my heart didn't beat so much, things were bad. I was having heart-attackish chest pain a lot and it wasn't going away. I knew deep down things were worse than the doctors thought and I was tracking my heart rate... 35...32...34...29... and still wide awake and hurting. Then Dr. Badger said it was on. The surgery was booked for the morning (as strange as that sounds) and I tried to sleep. 29 bpm when I'm awake-- what about when I'm asleep? I was worried it would stop in the night like the nurse had mentioned and I wouldn't even make it to the table. I wrote letters to my family in case this was the end and then I sat... I played an old BYU devotional I had DVR-ed and the man quoted Alma, "“a just God … granteth unto men according to their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life” (Alma 29:4). And I took it on, praying with all my might to Heavenly Father that my desire was life and the faith to be worthy to have this desire granted. I think this is why I'm alive. Millions of things could have gone wrong and a few did but Heavenly Father was backing me up and I was going to live. It hasn't been until tonight that I have wondered if I could still have the faith and the desire for life in a similar situation. So with this, I'm working on developing my desires- an eternal marriage, a likeness to the Savior, and a close relationship with Heavenly Father. Any suggestions?

No comments: